The Complete Kratom User Guide
If you’re new to kratom or just trying to make sense of the different strains and product types, you’ve come to the right place. We’ve developed our kratom user guide to help you better understand what kratom is, how it works, and how to be an informed buyer. If you have additional product-related questions not covered in this guide, you can also reach out to us.
What Is Kratom?
Kratom is derived from the Mitragyna speciosa tree, native to Southeast Asia. It’s especially abundant in the lush rainforests of countries like Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, and Vietnam. For thousands of years, people in these regions have traditionally used kratom leaves for medicinal, therapeutic, and ceremonial purposes.
Kratom contains more than two dozen alkaloids, active compounds that affect the body and brain. The primary alkaloids are mitragynine and 7-hydroxymitragynine, which have been shown to affect energy, mental clarity, focus, and overall well-being.
Today, there are a variety of kratom product types on the market, including:
While these products contain similar effects, the onset of action and potency can vary. For instance, powders and capsules tend to have a much faster onset of action than gummies, and extracts tend to be the most potent. Ultimately, the ideal product for all kratom users comes down to personal preference.
- Red-vein kratom: Derived from mature leaves. Kratom users have reported soothing, relaxing effects and a general sense of calm. Red-vein kratom is sometimes recommended for evening use.
- White-vein kratom: Derived from young, immature leaves. The effects tend to be more energizing and focus-driven. White-vein kratom is sometimes recommended for daytime use.
- Green-vein kratom: Derived from semi-mature leaves. The effects generally fall somewhere in between those of red-vein and white-vein strains. Green-vein kratom is sometimes recommended for new kratom users.
As a new kratom user, the leaf vein color should guide your decision. The most common colors are:
When shopping for kratom, you’ll notice that products have names like Green Malay or Red Sumatra. The color refers to the vein color, and the second part of the name generally refers to the location of origin. Kratom grown in different regions can have subtly different effects and aromas. If you’re a new kratom user, and you want to compare the different types, it’s best to start with a kratom variety pack and see what you like best.
How to Shop for High-Quality Kratom
Not all kratom products are high-quality. When browsing kratom online, make sure that the product is:
- 3rd-party lab-tested
- Free of contaminants and adulterants
- Sourced from reputable local growers in Southeast Asia
- Sold by a trusted vendor with an excellent track record
- Backed by a guarantee
These are just a few of the qualities that set Kratora apart in the industry. When buying kratom, you should never compromise.
If you have additional questions that aren’t covered in this kratom user guide, please refer to our comprehensive kratom blog. There you’ll find even more information about kratom strains, history, and effects.